UniData 7.3 is now available. This new release focuses on robustness, interoperability, security, and compatibility, as well as key customer enhancements.
Robustness – UniData 7 now includes data replication functionality based on a publisher/subscriber model. Replication can be real-time or scheduled at user-defined intervals and can be used to support a high availability, failover solution or to create report servers to off-load processing on OLTP systems.
- Interoperability – UniData SQL-based drivers and native interfaces are included at no extra charge on all database editions, as of UniData 5.2 and as of UniData 7, will no longer require authorization. UniData 6 adds JDBC support to the existing clients. UniData 7 also includes integrated database support for XML. UniData can output XML from both UniQuery and UniData SQL as well as support input of XML via document object model (DOM) handling within UniBasic. Also new with UniData 6 is native support for WebSphere MQ, which guarantees onetime delivery of messages for application integration. A new UniBasic API allows you to operate as an MQ client or server and to perform queue management.
- Secure Communication – As business needs demand more extensive application integration, there is a concomitant demand for support of secure communications protocols. Support for secure socket layer (SSL) communication via OpenSSL, allows UniData applications, using CallHTTP and Socket interfaces, to integrate with third-party applications that require this security functionality. SSL provides server authentication, encryption and message integrity and, optionally, client authentication. SSL support is also enabled in the UniData telnet server and the UniObjects for Java native API.
- Manageability – To enhance the supportability of client APIs such as UniObjects, UniObjects for Java, and InterCall, UniData 7 includes enhanced server side logging. Development and support staff benefit by being better able to track down exactly what is happening during the interaction of a client application with the database. Logging can be dynamically toggled. The UniAdmin tool has been re-architected to be Java-applet based, allowing it to be run from either the included thick client or via a web browser. UniAdmin has been updated to include administration tools for UniData Data Replication and can be used to administer UniData 5x as well as UniVerse 11.
- Other Enhancements – UniData 7 offers support for the euro currency symbol,UniData 6 offers new configuration parameters, commands and an API to provide control and flexibility and address potential conflicts with internal usage of special characters and conversion between platforms that use different euro encoding standards. Standard monetary symbol handling as well as conversion and formatting functions will support the euro.
- Personal Edition – UniData 7 Personal Edition is a free, 2-user version of UniData available for personal use only. It is not for resale or use in a production environment.